Military Discharge

Veterans are encouraged to have their military discharge papers (DD214) recorded in the local register of deeds office. The Register of Deeds will copy and index the DD214 and give the original back to the veteran. If the original is ever lost, destroyed or damaged, the veteran can always get a certified copy from the Register of Deeds.

Military discharge papers are valuable to veterans because they may be required to prove eligibility for certain benefits and programs. If you cannot locate your DD214 military discharge document or wish to record your DD214 with the register of deeds office, please contact the Jefferson County Veterans Service Office at 920-674-7240 for assistance.
To get a certified copy of your DD214 military discharge document, which was recorded earlier with the Jefferson County Register of Deeds or if you wish to record your DD214 Military discharge document, go to the Jefferson County Veterans Service Office at 311 S. Center Avenue, Room 209, Jefferson, WI 53549. The staff there will verify your status as a veteran and prepare a request for a certified copy or request that we record your DD214 military discharge document. Present the request form to the Register of Deeds staff and they will prepare the certified copy free of charge. If your DD214 is already on file the Register of Deeds staff will prepare your copy while you wait, if you are recording the DD214 for the first time your document will be processed in the order received along with daily recordings.

Military Discharges are filed and copies are made for veterans free of charge. Only the veteran may receive copies of his/her records and identification is required.